Monday, September 29, 2008

Phase One: Practice until my eyes bleed...

Well, maybe that's a bit dramatic...but my head does hurt nonetheless. Learning manual functions on a camera is some of the hardest learning I have ever done! I think I have the "eye" for creative shots, I know I can see from a pet (as well as a pet parent) perspective, I can do composure of shots...but yikes! There are an infinite number of possible combinations and outcomes for a great picture when using full manual mode. Settings of aperture, shutter speed, zoom, ISO speed, etc...set with available light, subject motion, depth of field, background clutter, time of day, inside/outside all in mind, setting your flash strength, bouncing flash, no flash, different lenses, different angles and desired outcomes...so many possible combinations...it's overwhelming.

So, for now, I learn. I have been perusing the internet for help and reading incessantly. I have been studying dutifully and practicing religiously. My own pets are sick of the camera in their faces already...I may have to introduce treats if they decide to run away at the sight of the camera! Even the kids have been practiced on, since they move just as fast as pets sometimes. I am having fun, even if I am completely in over my head. Someday, I will have gotten it all in my brain in a quickly usable format...and that's when I can officially "start" this little venture of mine. But, for now, I learn. And practice, practice, practice...

Beginner Shots...of Jimmy, Braden and one of Cole. Yes, I am currently in love with black and whites...they add so much more to the story the picture is telling, don't you think? Though, I love B's Beautiful Blues...










Cole and His Bubbles


2 comments:

my stay-at-home-momma drama said...

Just wanted to let you know, my sister and I follow a photographer's blog www.bloggingwithholly.blogspot.com.
(not that you could tell from looking at my pics - ha - I shoot everything in AUTO)

Anyway, my sister went to her workshop in ARIZONA - that is how good her pics are. She recently said she may be offering an online class. I thought of you and wanted to pass it along.

Kate said...

My sister told me to check out your blog (lisa) and I'm totally impressed! I did go to the photography workshop (not that my pictures are good) but it is really a lot harder than I thought it would be!

And honestly, I think your pictures look GREAT! I go to twopeasinabucket.com for a lot of photography tutorials and help! It's great if you have time to read through the photography discussions!

Good luck and I'm excited to see more pictures :)

PS - your babies are BEAUTIFUL!

Other Posts to Check Out...

Related Posts with Thumbnails