Friday, May 1, 2009

Two "Getting Ready" Texture Mods

Disclaimer:  I did not take these pictures!  They are here for a "makeover". Go here to find out the whole story.

I have been playing around with texture in photoshop for quite some time now and marveling at its power.  Take a look at Jesh de Rox on my sidebar if you like these kinds of texture overlays - he is the one that got me started on it!  The right texture or overlapping textures can add, enhance or subdue an emotion in a photograph. Plus, it helps when you have pictures with glaring fluorescent light overhead, enhancing...foreheads. Ouch.  So, here's what I did to help out two quintessential getting ready shots - one for Casey and one for Paige.

Original Image:
Casey: Mom pinning on boutonniere. 
Photobucket

Problem: Casey is so tall that the light is right in his face. Poor guy! 
He is so happy, just beaming, so this picture is definitely a keeper....now what to do.....

I tried to crop it a teeny bit and then convert to black and white - sometimes that's all you have to do.
Photobucket

Still glaring, I went for the risk and added some serious texture here - and I really do love the outcome! **Texture is not for everyone, and I admit it had to grow on me at first...but once it clicked, now I am hooked!** There are two layers here, both adding motion and a bit of color to the black and white.

Final image:
Photobucket
It's ironic, because looking at it closer, this texture actually makes his forehead more bright and glaring, but I think since the it adds so much emotion to the picture, his beaming smile is more obvious now and the forehead is less of a distraction to the picture as a whole.  Hmm.


Paige: Makeup time - an iconic moment!  Again, the light is just so harsh, it's unflattering to her.  Clutter in background is distracting. Though, a keeper since it could be great without the light and there is no other to take it's place.

Original Image:
Photobucket

Again, a closer crop and a black and white.  This one looked much more dramatic for the moment with this change alone.  Reminds me of a Vegas showgirl getting ready for her performance! 
Photobucket

But I think the brightness of her face still needed a little subduing.  So, I added a paper texture behind this one.  Love the burnout look it ended up creating...

Final image:
Photobucket

So? What do you think? I would appreciate your comments here - I am taking some creative risks and would love to know your honest opinion - good or bad - be brutally honest! What do YOU think of the modifications?

More tomorrow....storyboards galore!

No comments:

Other Posts to Check Out...

Related Posts with Thumbnails